Sunday, November 1, 2009

Let the blogging begin


Shame on me.

Five weeks in Paris and not a single blog entry. Not even a little sentence to say 'I have arrived'.

Ah, yes, laziness is ah hell of a thing.

In a way I think that it is probably a good thing that I have waited until now to start updating my blog. I say this because I very much wanted my blog to be an online celebration of my new Parisian life. I wanted it to be a positive place where I could share my impressions of, and experiences in this wonderful city. I wanted it to be a Caribbean boy meets Europe-discovers his true calling-writes a blog about it kind of thing. The last thing I wanted was for it to be an online bitch fest .

You see, I believe that I am finally nearing the end of what is commonly known as 'The Adjustment Period'. You know, that grueling but necessary period of transition to another country where one tends to feel constantly disoriented, confused, and helpless. A period when, due to cultural differences and linguistic handicaps, the smallest of tasks such as opening a bank account or applying for social security tends to cause one to become totally overwhelmed and throw a full on hissy fit. And human nature being what it is, I would have probably omitted all the wonderful experiences that I have had thus far in Paree, and focused all my energy on writing blog entries such as:

'Oh please sir, please, please, please let me open an account at your bank." - The joys of French banking.

or,

"Oopsy-Daisy, looks like there has been a little mix up and you won't be getting paid till the end of next month. Have a great vacation!" - Fun e-mails from your new French boss.

or even,

 '101 reasons why French bureaucracy will make you want to gouge your eyes out with a stale baguette'.

But now that I am feeling myself finally starting to settle into the Parisian way of life, and now that I am becoming a little more comfortable just shrugging my shoulders and muttering c'est la vie when things don't go how I expect them to, I think that I can afford to update my blog more often.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read more Paul =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your first few blog entries and will stick around to see how things go. Judging from your obvious sense of humor, I think you're going to have a great time!

    ReplyDelete